Discovering the Exciting World of Drone Flying

Hey everyone,

I realise this forum is new so I’ll see if I can kick off a discussion.

I honestly think drone flying is one of the most exciting hobbies out there!

As someone who’s been flying drones for a little while now, I really find that it’s an amazing experience that’s both exhilarating and rewarding. It allows you to explore the world from a unique perspective, and see things in a way that you’ve never seen them before.

One of the most incredible things about drone flying is the freedom it gives you. With a drone, you can go just about anywhere, capturing stunning aerial footage of landscapes, architecture, and more. Whether you’re looking to document your travels or just take some amazing photos and videos, a drone can take your photography to the next level.

Of course, like any hobby, drone flying comes with its own set of challenges. There are many regulations and rules that you need to be aware of, such as registration and competency requirements, flight restrictions, and safety guidelines. It’s important to do your research and make sure you’re flying in a safe and responsible manner.

Another important thing to consider when flying a drone is the equipment itself. There are many different types of drones out there, from small, toy-like models to high-end drones that can cost thousands of pounds. It’s important to find the right drone for your needs, whether you’re looking for a beginner-friendly model or a high-performance drone for professional use.

I’d love to hear from other drone enthusiasts out there. What’s your experience with drone flying? Do you have any tips or advice for beginners? What kind of equipment do you recommend? Let’s start a discussion and help others discover the amazing world of drone flying!

Gaz

2 Likes

Hi Gaz,

I have been flying drones since 2009 and my all time favourite are tricopters, but these day for ease of use and reliability DJI is my craft of choice.

I used to love the build, and the joy (most times :)) of the first flight, but the costs were just far to high, and FPV it my thing, but on something that can pause in flight and enjoy the view.

With that in mind I ended up down the ready to fly path for want of a better phrase, but I really enjoy a good flight. Prior to covid it was very easy to find somewhere out in the countryside with no one about to spend an hour or so just enjoying the trip, and the regulations were “more flexible” shall we say.

Now post covid, the world and their dog are out and about and places I used to go where you would not se anyone else for many hours, and now well travelled locations, so the ease of just rocking up and flying, are not not as easy to do.

Locally I have made some good contacts with local land owners to there are place I can still just fly from which is very important for me. The local authority has also taken the view that the CAA knows what its doing in terms of regulations for the airspace over the public, and has decided that the regulations’ they impose are sufficient, and more importantly easily enforced in a local environment, wiuth out additional civil legislations, and the costs involved in enforcement of any local by laws etc.

Many I know are not this lucky, but it does mean that drone flying can occur, along with other model flying that historically used to occur in many of the large local parks and open spaces.

with the A2CofC now and the availability of reliable sub 250g kit, I can fly as I used to in the early days, but I would love to be able to fly the Mavic 3, in the same areas as I can fly the mini 3, but hopefully that will change.

I have some of my videos up on Vimeo (vimeo.com/IWCoburg) which is my platform of choice for sharing.

Mike.

1 Like

I’m pretty new to flying, and I quite enjoy the research aspect of scouting out locations for a hassle free few hours, so I will be posting my findings quite regularly on here I hope.
As I said in my introduction, my drones are not all bells and whistles, I just want to keep the hobby simple, while trying for a happy medium of decent videos and stills. I just like flying them!
One of my ambitions is to fly my Mini 2 ‘Cross the Mersey’ and back, which should be doable if the weather is calm.
Cheers! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes - please do keep us posted with good flying locations and your flying adventures John!

I’ve always been into the fixed-wing side of things more than drones, although I own quite a few!! There’s something about building a plane and having it fly out of your hand, then come in for a safe landing after a beautiful flight - not that it happened every time :joy::joy::joy:

I haven’t flown in a while but I’d love to get back into it - I have planes sat in the garage and a few in boxes ready to be built once I figure out what kit I want in them… but I’ll be honest, I miss the friends I had who used to fly FPV but have moved on, it’s not the same standing in a field by yourself.

Then again, it can be very relaxing - perhaps I just need to get my head in gear and get out there again :slight_smile:

1 Like